Wednesday, June 16, 2010

TODAY IS YOUTH DAY IN SOUTH AFRICA

This is the shot that was seen and heard around the world 34 years ago. The photo was taken by Masana Sam Zema at a youth protest of the forced use of  Afrikaans / English 50-50 mix language being taught to them.

June 16, 1976 blacks student had a walkout at school and marched toward a rally at Orlando Stadium.  The rest of the story is history. Accounts vary as to the numbers of deaths (ranging from 200-600), but there were an estimated 1000 injuries on top of that.

I remember seeing that photo on the front page of the New York Times, a few days later and it shook me to my core. I said to myself "WTF...they kill their own children?" The world outrage was immediate.

But that school uprising was the beginning of the end of apartheid and I was so happy for South Africa to see it go. I cried tears of joy when Mandela was elected president and now we all celebrate the growth of a nation with the 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP!

PS: The boy who died in that photo is Hector Pieterson and there is a wonderful memorial in Soweto for him including the very photo of the above image!

No comments:

Post a Comment