Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Passing of Michael Jackson


So much has been written and dissected about the life of Michael Jackson over the past 2 weeks. His death hit me in strange way. In some bizarre way I felt like a chapter of my childhood had come to a close. Everything in my pre-teen & mid-teen years, revolved around The Jackson Five & Michael Jackson. I can laugh now, but I was Jackson groupie to the core. Every poster on the wall, played the vinyl all day every day, until my mother threaten to break it, if I didn't play something else. This from a woman, whom upon breaking up with boyfriend in the late 60's, played the same Dionne Warrick song for 24 hours, 3 days in row. I actually told her I wanted to live with another relative if she played that song again...lol!

I never missed a concert in New York or New Jersey and had the pleasure of meeting all of them except Michael himself. He was always kept under lock & key. I was close on several occasions, but never him. All the photos from that period are now missing (from moving around) and that is a shame, but I do have my memories.

When he separated from the group and released OFF THE WALL & THRILLER in the early eighties, I became a fan of another kind. One of respect for a genius. Those videos were mini-movies. Just genius! At that time I was the Managing Director of the first & largest Hair & Makeup agency in New York called Beauty Bookings. When the Jackson's reunited and did their Victory Tour in New York, I once again came in contact with the Brothers, but this time in a most unique way. It was the launch of Whitney Houston's career. She had her public premier that night at The Limelight nightclub singing with Jermaine Jackson after the Victory Tour concert. One of my makeup artist by the name of Quietfire, did her makeup, so I got to do the behind the scenes thing. Whitney was really young at the time, 18 or so and I remember that night like it yesterday; another STAR was born. She could SING, as of course we have all come to know.

The first hint that something unusual, might happen to Michael Jackson came in 1986 at of all places Eddie Murphy's house in New Jersey. Someone at the house revealed that one day in the future, allegations about his sexuality were going to come out and we were going to shocked. Eddie wasn't buying it and you could not talk bad about Michael because as it turned out, he was as big of fan as I was, if not bigger. I didn't know what to think and filed the comment under future reference in my brain. So imagine my shock 6-7 years later when the first lawsuit was filed. Hummm!

In the end because he was not convicted of anything, all I can do is just pray that nothing happen to any of those kids. With him gone and leaving behind kids of his own, I have decided to remember him for what he did for ME! Which was make me happy, teach me new dance moves, and forever sing along to his songs.

Bibi

No comments:

Post a Comment